From Granny's Childhood Memories

"The winter season was long and harsh. I looked forward to the early spring days and the wild flowers which followed.....I especially enjoyed going into the deep woods near the old school" from Caroline Fehlman Rabbitt Long Grove Childhood Memories.


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Grateful Daughter

Monday is my birthday.  The older I get the more grateful I am for the things you can not buy at any store.  My parents taught me how to garden. My mom especially loved flowers. She started most of her flowers from seed. Her roses were breath taking and smelled like heaven. There isn't any flowers she can't grow.
 My Dad grew and took care of 100's of apple trees. I am now learning all his secrets to the best Jonathan and Golden Delicious I have ever eaten.




They owned Homestead Orchard. the best apple orchard in McHenry County Illinois.  My children all got to see and taste fresh apples off the vine. Even tho they are grown I am sure they will never forget the taste of homade apple crunch and apple cider.They are retired now someone else owns my dad's well loved apple trees, so now it is my turn. I have planted 2 apple trees, 1 peach, and a cherry tree.And I am just getting started.  Thank goodness for birthdays maybe I will get a gift certificate for plants.

1 comment:

  1. Robin,
    This is beautiful. I love the pictures, and that you are following in your parents' footsteps.
    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete